How we doubled a client’s PPC conversion rate and lowered Google Ads cost-per-conversion by 49.54%.
Conversion rate optimisation and cost-per-conversion optimisation are the greatest measures of an account’s performance. With sound analysis and swift, informed action, we restructured the campaign’s ad group set and achieved the following results.
- The client’s conversion rate increased from 2.22% to 4.80%.
- Increased the client’s overall ad spend while increasing the conversion value/cost: total Google Ads spend went from $39,495.91 to $47,989.50.
- Overall conversions went for increased from $1226.23 to $2952.68.
- We halved the client’s cost of converting website visitors: the Google Ads cost per conversions went from $32.21 to $16.25.
Lebara Mobile is an Australian market leader in SIM cards for national and international calls. The client operates seasonally, with peak season between November and February, and off-peak during winter.
It’s important to emphasise that we didn’t increase the spend on brand terms. In fact, the spend of brand terms was halved during this period. We didn’t change the proportion of cost between the brand and general keywords. The majority of promotions were based on our client’s decisions; we provided the analyses, advising which product to focus on.
How we did it
As their brand name is extremely competitive, we needed to use the brand name as a keyword as well. We remarketed to these visitors of the brand campaign through the Display Network, which proved very effective. We attracted new visitors and captured traffic via Similar Audience, Shopping campaigns and General/competitor keywords, retargeting them with Search, Shopping and Display Network.
We restructured the campaigns. On the Search Network, we created more ad groups for each specific phrase. We used cross exclusions, omitting the irrelevant phrases.
We broke down the Shopping campaign by products. Through this we increased the bid of specific products which were highlighted in the current promotion.
On the Display Network we created different remarketing lists to monitor what was performing best. We targeted devices separately because we believed people converted differently depending on device.
We broke location targeting into states and major cities, to improve the ease with which bid adjustments could be made.
Number of conversions and cost/conversion trends:
Cost and all conversion value trends:
All conversion value/cost trends:
Between July 1st – September 30th and May 1st – June 30th, there was an additional 1,726.45 conversions: a 140.79% growth.
We could decrease the cost/conversion by 49.54% during this period which meant this metric reduced from $32.31 to $16.25.
We increased the conversion rate by 115.62%; from 2.22% to 4.80%.
All conversion value per cost increased from 2.98 to 5.60, which is an incredibly impressive increase of 88%. This means that for every dollar spent the return at the end of this optimisation period was 88% greater.